Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

$tability

I worked for a television station for 13 years...began there when I had just turned 21. I grew up with this TV station...learned how to talk the talk and walk the walk. It gave me skills that no teacher could have taught. These skills were observing for 13 years how everything ran from the bottom all the way to the top. I learned that no matter how much I knew and that I could practically run the television station by myself (people joked about this often) that there was one thing that I couldn't do and that would be to keep my job stable or the entire front office for that matter. They upgraded our computer system...put us through extensive training on how to use it and then because of this same system they were able to take 41 television stations that they owned and take away most of the office personnel and place the jobs at 4 of the station. So my job in Ft.Wayne would be handled from one of the hubs in Illinois. Nice, eh?
This is happening everywhere. People work hard to make good money and you can have your job yanked at any time. Stability does not exist. Stability probably has never existed when it comes to employment.
My question is, "How can a family live in comfort knowing that at any moment the financial stability could be taken away?" I know people who have worked their whole entire lives harder than anyone and have not one penny to show for it. I also know of people who haven't worked a full time job in over a decade but somehow ARE financially stable and have many things to show for it. Don't get me started on these people.
I guess what we have to do is think positive, work hard, save every penny and stick together. Once again this brings up the question of, "When is it time for me to go back to work?" Another blog for another day. over and out!

1 comment:

  1. It is scary that no one's job is safe from outsourcing, cancellation, etc. The only real way to prepare for such a disaster would be to have a huge rainy day savings account. For our generation, that's difficult to accomplish. Kind of almost wish it was normal for every wife to stay at home, the family had one car, etc. The grass is always greener! I go to work every day wondering how I can stay at home. We would have to totally change our lifestyle. People might think we were "weird!" lol!

    ReplyDelete