Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Craziness!

Spring is just around the corner!!! I have my seed catalogs coming in one by one which is one of the first signs. The second sign would be the 6 little baby Rhode Island Reds that we have in a temporary home inside our garage! My husband surprised me and the girls one day while we were out and about looking at "Chicken things" and went ahead and purchased these lovelies!! They are about the cutest little things I've ever seen!! The girls love playing with them now, but I have a feeling that once they become 10 times the size that they are now, that may change a bit. Who knows..but they are cute!!!
I can't wait until things warm up a bit and we can place them in their coop outside so we can once again have our garage back to park in! I didn't know that 6 small things would close down our garage because of the constant warm temperature that they need. We can't freeze them out by opening up the garage door over and over again. It will all be worth it come summer when we (hopefully) get our first eggs!! How exciting!! We should receive one egg per chick, per day.
It's going to be a busy summer adding the chicks into my daily routine which includes: Taking care of the girls, being a swimming pool cleaner, gardener, mower, cooker, cleaner, etc., etc..
I told myself last summer that when winter hit I would take advantage of the down time, by relaxing...well..that happened somewhat, but I ended up baking like a crazy lady September thru December. Then took a month hiatus which is when I organized like a mad woman, now I am trying to find a happy medium by working a little of both into my daily routine.
I remember when there was a time in my life, while being a FT working mother and wife, that a good, home cooked meal consisted of  a bag of frozen crap or a box of crap that I'd add stuff to and VOILA...I called that cooking and thought nothing wrong with it at all. Coincidentally, that was when my girls ate more. That's because crap is more exciting to a child then flavorful, colorful REAL food. My girls will get the hint once they realize that french fries will be cut fresh, tossed in Olive oil and baked with sea salt instead of the frozen kind that we used to deep fry in our mini fryer. Those were the crazy days when I didn't think that food mattered. I wish I could reverse time and go back and start all over. I guess what matters is that we are on the right track now and are eating healthy.
I'm sure there's a lot of Grandma's, Aunts, etc. who think I'm crazy but all I'm really doing is eating old school. I'm going back in time before things were prepackaged, loaded with MSG, when food was really food. I'm cooking as if we were living on an old fashioned farm, with fresh ingredient's, raw cow's milk, fresh eggs, fresh veggies, lard, freshly butchered meats. Crazy I know, but it feels so right! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment