Total Pageviews

Monday, March 4, 2013

Eat What is Real

The Myers Family Homestead have been going through several major changes in our food. After being introduced to the term, "Raw Food" from a friend of mine, and researching exactly what it mean, both Todd and I have decided to move forward with our healthy food plan. Slowly over the past year we've reached a half way point in doing so without really knowing it. We ditched all of the frozen chicken nuggets, corn dogs, pre made, processed crap and replaced with low fat food items such as turkey bacon, turkey dogs, ground chicken, etc.
Well, this wasn't good enough for me. Yes, we were watching our calories and fat but we were not looking at what we were putting in our body, what I was giving to  my children. Nitrates, MSG, a hundred ingredients I had no clue what they were, Aspartame, the list is endless. Here I thought I was giving my family healthy meals by cooking low-fat, low calorie but instead I was feeding them things I've never even heard of.
We needed change.
As of the beginning of 2013 here are some food changes that have been going on in our home:
Milk: We went from store bought, pasteurized skim milk to purchasing a herd share of non-pasteurized raw milk that we pick up from the farm every other week. It's creamier, healthier, has more vitamins and will help prevent osteoporosis which runs on my mom's side of the family. We've also switched from eating "Light n Fit" yogurt to going with the all natural Organic Greek Yogurt sweetened with Cane juice.  I've trying to incorporate Kefir drinks as well to my family but so far we're two for two on the Kefir drinks.
We've also gone from, "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" to REAL Butter. I've even made some of my own butter which is so easy and so delicious, "I can't believe I've never done it"???


Sugar: We went from using a lot of low fat/low calorie items which in return contained: artificial sweeteners...ahhhh! I've often joked about how I can't keep up with what kind of sugars are "safe". In my life, I've gone from White Sugar- Sweet N Low-The Blue Stuff??- Splenda-Stevia to my current use of the all natural Sugar in the Raw or Natural Cane Sugar. We've also are trying and I have to specify trying because it seems like there's always something that you discover that you are consuming that is bad for you that you hadn't realized yet. But we are swapping out items with concentrated sweeteners and making them ourselves. Examples: Mayonnaise, Salad Dressings, Bread, Pasta Salads, Potato Salads, Hot Chocolate, Chocolate Syrup.
Another thing that we just recently dipped into is raw honey which is fabulous!!! If I get a sweet tooth a spoonful of this will conquer it and it's so good for you! I've read that it can help reduce allergies, help with digestion and gives your body a natural boost.

I feel that we are headed in the right direction as far as improving our eating habits which in return will  improve our overall health. The Myers Homestead are turning into happy, healthy eaters!





No comments:

Post a Comment